National Dog Mom’s Day
Saturday May 13th is National Dog Mom’s Day! This is a day for all pup-loving women across the country to celebrate their special kind of motherhood. Over 30,000 years ago people started domesticating dogs as pets. According to scientists with National Today, dogs descended from the same species of wolves as the grey wolves in ancient Eurasia. How they then evolved into breeds like Chihuahuas, Poodles and Great Danes is still theorized today. However we got the breeds we know and love today, we can’t imagine life without our furry companions.
In 2018, a dog person’s dating app, Dig, launched National Dog Mom’s Day for dog-loving women to thank dog moms, foster dog moms, and future dog moms for all of the love they give to pups.
Here are some activities you can do with your dog on Saturday to celebrate dog moms day:
- Go for a walk-Grab your fur baby and head to your favorite trail. One-on-one time in nature is a great way to spend quality time with your dog. They will have a great time too!
- Treat yourself (and your dog)- Check your local listings for restaurants in your area that allow pets. You can also go shopping at pet friendly stores or grab a pup cup!
- Not a dog mom or looking to add to the pack? A great way to celebrate is to head to your local shelter and adopt a new pup or two.
Did you know:
1.Dogs are as intelligent as a two-year-old. They can learn over 200 words or gestures.
2. Dogs hear 4x better than humans.
3. Dogs’ noses are wet for a reason. A dog absorbs scent chemicals using their wet nose.
4. Dogs sweat differently than we do. Instead of watery liquid, dog’s skin secretes oils.
We think being a dog mom is one of the best things you can do! Owning a dog is shown to improve your health, relieve stress and anxiety, help you stay active and social and make you a more responsible person. Today and every day we celebrate all the Posh mom’s and thank you so much for trusting us with your fur babies.
Happy Dog Mom’s Day from all of us as Vera’s Posh Paws!